B&F BOARD, would you like to contribute? PLEASE VOTE

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Would you be willing to contribute to the survival of B&F message board?

I'll be happy to pay a yearly fee between £5-£10
46%
I'll be happy to pay a yearly fee between £10-£20
35%
I'll be happy to contribute a one time sum between £25-£50
11%
I'll be happy to contribute a one time sum between £50-£100
3%
None of the above
5%

Total votes : 37

Re: B&F BOARD CLOSURE, would you like to contribute? PLEASE

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:08 pm

That's 261 words at £5 each which comes to a total of £1,305 please.

Thank you in advance.
Ranking Glasses

Postby DJ Conscious » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:15 pm

Need to know the total annual cost of running the board, this is crucial. Thanks.
DJ Conscious

Postby Novice » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:14 pm

You can pick up your check just down that alley there, right past the rubbish bin, a man will meet you there and provide you with all the pounds you've got comin' to ya.

-Me-
Novice

Postby drwatts53 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:04 pm

Hate to say it, but 16 contributors ain't going to go very far unless they dig deep in their pockets.
drwatts53

Postby B&F Moderator » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:17 am

DJ Conscious wrote:Need to know the total annual cost of running the board, this is crucial. Thanks.

Why is it crucial?

Honestly, i find it hard to understand why people ask about the total amount, unless they gonna pay everything themselves.
B&F Moderator

Postby ReggaeFire » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:35 am

drwatts53 wrote:Hate to say it, but 16 contributors ain't going to go very far unless they dig deep in their pockets.

Well, it’s a forum, how much could we be talking about? A domain costs a couple quid a year, hosting a forum with such low traffic and data would be about £60-£120 a year. Let’s say on the high end we’re talking £160 a year, that’s £10/$15 per person per year (assuming it is only the 16 contributors and no one else).

That’s also assuming there is some reason not to migrate to a free host, I mean, Gordy’s forum is still up and running and no one has looked at that in years. I don’t see any reason not to go with that solution and skip the paid for model entirely.
ReggaeFire

Postby B&F Moderator » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:24 pm

ReggaeFire wrote:Well, it’s a forum, how much could we be talking about? A domain costs a couple quid a year, hosting a forum with such low traffic and data would be about £60-£120 a year. Let’s say on the high end we’re talking £160 a year, that’s £10/$15 per person per year (assuming it is only the 16 contributors and no one else).

That’s also assuming there is some reason not to migrate to a free host, I mean, Gordy’s forum is still up and running and no one has looked at that in years. I don’t see any reason not to go with that solution and skip the paid for model entirely.

ReggaeFire, exactly my thoughts - this kind of forum must be pretty cheap to maintain.

Moving to a free platform probably means discarding all the old posts & archive which would miss the whole point.

Also i'm afraid that having a new name/web address etc. would kill this place totally.

Maybe it's just time to go ?
B&F Moderator

Postby johnnyB » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:17 pm

Time to go where? If this place was to close down for 160£ it would be absurd. If that’s the amount we are talking about I’m ready to commit to donate right now 25% of the whole.
...who feels it knows it...
johnnyB

Postby jb welda » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:23 pm

That is what I was going to say: if the total amount per year is only in the range of a couple hundred pounds/dollars, then perhaps someONE could step up and just cover it for a year at least. On the other hand, if it some greater sum, or if it has to include money to support an employee or something, then perhaps the airing of the true costs might make more people step up and contribute. I personally have no idea what it actually costs to make something like this available so some idea of what is expected would help me decide if and how much I would want to throw down.

The problem is, most of the actual contributors of note have disappeared over the years...Steve Barrow particularly is missed. Without the (content) contributors, what can be expected? Endless nonsense posts don't cut it, at least not for me.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby DJ Conscious » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:36 pm

B&F Moderator wrote:Why is it crucial?

Honestly, i find it hard to understand why people ask about the total amount, unless they gonna pay everything themselves.

If we know the total running costs, then it's easier to calculate what a fair contribution would be.
DJ Conscious

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:17 pm

Doesn't the moderator / administrator deserve something for their time? Time is precious after all
Ranking Glasses

Postby Peacemakeya » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:57 pm

However the small$ run, count me in.

A Proposal: For the next stage of the forum, make a new section for the ongoing personal babble so that the general reasonings can stay on track with reggae's original up full intentions. Hopefully we can then see the return of those who had to jump ship because they couldn't take the non-sense. How bout this for the new sections title? ... The Rubber Room :D

reggaematic acrobatic lift up love-ocratic
Peacemakeya

Postby Novice » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:37 pm

Peacemakeya, I get the intention of your proposal but the "non-sense" is not why people jumped ship, not by a long shot. Censorship caused it and banning caused it, whether for legal reasons or whatever. Message boards will always have non-sense and you can only stop it by banning or censoring thereby putting one foot firmly out the door to die a slow death by lack of contribution or lack of anyone or anything interesting going on, aside from straight "information" about some topic or another. Happened here, happened at Chattymouth, and will eventually happen at all of them.

The archived material will have to suffer or you can just ask the question again if it's that important to you but a free board with no "moderator" to answer to is the only one that will be interesting enough to bring in traffic or keep traffic...assuming everyone hasn't lost faith that it will eventually be "controlled" again. Open to any and all, including the opinions we DON'T like of those that don't fit one's utopian fantasy.

No a moderator doesn't deserve something for their time because hopefully it won't have to be moderated. I suppose someone would/might have to click a button to let members sign up or confirm their login but isn't there algorhythms and shitt for that type of thing.

-Me
Novice

Postby ReggaeFire » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:30 am

So the more I look into it the cheaper this seems to get. For a site this small to transfer a phpbb board to a new host would be around $4 a month. Bump that up to $6 for some more features. That should enable a full transfer of the existing board and its archives. So, add what, $5 for annual domain renewal and we’re looking at $80/£50 a year.
ReggaeFire

Postby zonard » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:12 am

I'd gladly contribute to the board maintenance fee and would be very disappointed if such a database would dissapear.

Anyone with internet skill could extract the whole database and share this with the community ?
I think someone did this a few years ago (I still have this somewhere on the computer), but the images were not copied. Would need an update for the last years.

Respect to all people involved in the maintenance of the forum over the years, your work is really appreciated.
zonard

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion