Vinyl prices - taking the p*ss?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Vinyl prices - taking the p*ss?

Postby drwatts53 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:53 pm

So I look at a well-known and long-established reggae vendor's site and what do I see? One of a well-known and long-established non-Japanese reissue label's latest 45 releases selling for £15 while others from the same source (and on the same parent label as the 45) on the same site are selling for £8... WTF???

Another example - a recent 10" reissue single selling for £6.99 on one UK site going for £10.99 on another - £4 difference!

My mama told me, you better shop around...
Last edited by drwatts53 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
drwatts53

Re: Vinyl prices - taking the p*ss?

Postby jb welda » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:04 am

Well that's always been the case. And when you are comparing prices from different vendors, you have to keep in mind the postage costs. Lots of places advertise cheaper merchandise but then hit you big time for the shipping. So the obvious cheaper is not always the actual cheaper. As for the LPs vs 45s, the singles often have a collectability factor that the LPs do not, and are priced accordingly. There is rarely a real correlation between the prices of LPs and singles from the same seller, they sell things for what they think they can get for them.

Bottom line: it always pays to shop around.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby drwatts53 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:52 am

Well, not to beat around the bush, I'm talking about Pressure Sounds' batch of five Yabby You productions on 45. Four are selling at £8 on Dub Vendor, but Beware is £15: http://www.dubvendor.co.uk/yabby-you--- ... 5197-p.asp . I'm not blaming Dub Vendor for this.

As for postage on the 10", I checked, and the cheaper seller charges 73p more for the postage, which makes for an overall difference of £3.27.

And then there's the Samory-I vinyl...
drwatts53

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:54 am

The irony is that you can sometimes find the originals cheaper then the reissues nowadays!
Ranking Glasses

Postby drwatts53 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:30 am

Unless my ears deceive me (or Dub Vendor have made a mistake with the sample), the B-side of the reissue of Pablo's Dread In A Red - King Tubby's Rock (£8) - is identical to the A-side of Yabby You - Beware (the £15 one). And Lazy Mood, the latter's B-side, has some truly awful guitar - even Pressure Sounds describe the cut as "off-key" on their site - so I know which one I'd be buying if I needed to.

Talking of which, the PS website are listing the Beware 45 at £6!!! Have Dub Vendor made a mistake with their £15 listing?
Last edited by drwatts53 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
drwatts53

Postby jah_vaults » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:11 am

Ranking Glasses wrote:The irony is that you can sometimes find the originals cheaper then the reissues nowadays!

Good quote.

The price is just way to high nowadays especially for new releases
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Postby Robdub » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:44 am

drwatts53 wrote:
And then there's the Samory-I vinyl...

Was going to say that :P
Robdub

Postby drwatts53 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:41 am

drwatts53 wrote:Unless my ears deceive me (or Dub Vendor have made a mistake with the sample), the B-side of the reissue of Pablo's Dread In A Red - King Tubby's Rock (£8) - is identical to the A-side of Yabby You - Beware (the £15 one). And Lazy Mood, the latter's B-side, has some truly awful guitar - even Pressure Sounds describe the cut as "off-key" on their site - so I know which one I'd be buying if I needed to.

Talking of which, the PS website are listing the Beware 45 at £6!!! Have Dub Vendor made a mistake with their £15 listing?

Contacted Dub Vendor and they say "The price is an error, its been sorted now. The clips though play what is on the records, they do sound similar, but I think the difference is in the mix."
drwatts53

Postby MulatuAstatke » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:32 pm

Also worth bearing in mind, with Pressure Sounds, Dub Vendor get a good deal. The wholesale prices for most retailers are usually just a fraction below what they sell on there own website.

Regarding those 10”, the people you see selling over £10 probably bought through a distributor rather than directly off Winston Edwards.

But still, doesn’t change the fact that you shouldn’t shop around! Just saying it’s not necessarily that retailers are taking the ****..
MulatuAstatke

Postby drwatts53 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:45 pm

Point taken - thanks for the inside perspective and explanation. (Though I think you mean "should shop around" rather than "shouldn't" :wink: .)
drwatts53

Postby dj745 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:50 pm

I notice that there is a massive price variation amongst online shops too for 'regular' releases and whilst I always try and support the independents like dub vendor sometimes it just isn't possible
dj745

Postby jb welda » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:23 pm

The Samory I thing was a rare situation. Very few copies pressed, and they remained with the producer Rory until he personally sold them off (may vary slightly from actual reality). That kept the prices high, they were in demand so enough people were evidently interested enough to pay whatever the going rate was. Once they sold out, there weren't anymore. And the record contained significantly more material than the other releases.

If he had had thousands pressed up, a portion of them would be sitting in the corner Rorys place right now, and possibly into the foreseeable future. Its a matter of supply and demand.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby drwatts53 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:36 pm

I recently asked Jah Fingers whether he was planning to repress the Mighty Threes' Rasta Business, which seems to have sold out already, and this is what he said: "I'm waiting for a good amount of new releases at the moment and the stock room is bursting already so I don't have any plan to repress it at the moment, maybe (hopefully) in future."
drwatts53

Postby Novice » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:09 pm

dr, in reference to the Rasta Business, are you taking about the 7" or the 12"?

-Me-
Novice

Postby drwatts53 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:29 pm

The 12": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoGd4uDe3AY , (re)issued only a couple of months or so ago, but as I said, already sold out, online in Europe at least it would seem. I didn't buy it straight away and missed out, but then was lucky enough to find a near-mint copy of the Makasound CD of Africa Shall Stretch Forth Her Hand (complete with dubs) going online for little more than I would have paid for the 12" plus postage. O happy day...
drwatts53

Next

Return to General discussion